All flights using the International Terminal will depart from Boarding Area G effective April 1st
As a result of reduced flight and passenger activity related to the COVID-19 crisis, the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) announced plans to consolidate all flight activity in the International Terminal to a single concourse. Effective Wednesday, April 1st, 2020, Boarding Area A, which contains Gates A1 – A15, will be closed, and all flights in the International Terminal will depart from Boarding Area G, Gates G1 – G14.
This consolidation will allow for the following:
- Closure of a security checkpoint and consolidation of checkpoint screening staff
- Consolidates Customs & Border Protection (CBP) to a single point of entry for international arrivals
- Improved passenger connectivity, as Boarding Area G is connected to Domestic Terminal 3 through a post-security connecting walkway
- Greater access to essential services within the airport, including food & beverage
Although Boarding Area A will be closed, the following adjacent facilities will remain open:
- SFO Medical Clinic
- Grand Hyatt at SFO
- International Parking Garage A
At present, SFO plans to operate all flights in the International Terminal from Boarding Area G, Gates G1 – G14, through the end of May. Plans are subject to change, based on airline flight schedules.
In the recent days, an average of less than 12 flights per day have departed from Boarding Area A. By April 1st, international flights at SFO will have been reduced by 52%.