- for employees
- for businesses and agencies
- Ground Transportation Permits
- Permit Essentials
- How Do I...
- Fee Schedules
- Rules & Procedures
- Guidelines & Resources
- Operations Security
- Rules & Regulations
- Summary of Airport Charges
- Terminal 3 East Redesign
- Ground Transportation Permits
- job opportunities
- site map
Print this information in a PDF document.
Four years ago, BART increased the surcharge on SFO trips from $1.50 to $4.00 each way because air passengers are able to pay a higher fare. Almost a year later, SFO came to an agreement with BART to reduce the surcharge for some employees back to the original $1.50.
Well now, it gets even better, because from July 1, 2013, there will no longer be a surcharge for most badged employees.
For example, if you travel from Civic Center to SFO, the fare is currently $8.25 each way. At present, eligible employees pay only $5.70 each way. But from July 1st, the charge drops to $4.20 each way; about the cost of 1 gallon of gas. And with BART kicking in a bonus your out-of-pocket cost drops to $3.94.
Non-airline employees with an SFO issued security badge (regardless of level of access) are eligible for this program. Whether you work for the Airport Commission or any firm operating here at SFO, as long as you have a valid SFO issued security badge, you can take advantage of this savings.
Some rental car center employees, subcontractors, and other firms located away from the terminals that do not need security access do not need badges and are not eligible for this program unless the company contacts SFO management and voluntarily acquires security badges for its interested employees.
Airline employees are covered under a different agreement. Airline employees based at SFO are still eligible for a 25% discount off BART travel to and from SFO with a different discount card.
All participants will receive a physical discount card from BART with a copy of their picture from their SFO badge. The picture will be copied from the badge database as part of the registration process. This card is what you will use to travel on BART instead of a Clipper Card or a fare card.
Every company does things a little differently, so please check with your company’s HR department.
For eligible badged employees there are 2 ways to put money on your BART discount card:
- Pay by credit card or bank debit card (non-PIN)
- Pay by debit card funded through payroll deduction (offers tax savings if you work for a participating employer)
For Airport Commission Employees, you can pay with pre-tax dollars by signing up for transit payroll deduction through Wage Works. WageWorks will send you a debit card, and you’ll enter the card number at the BART website.
For non-Airline employees, check with your Human Resources department to see if your company offers a similar program.
Then, take advantage of a BART bonus. When $45 is charged to your credit or debit card, you'll receive $48 worth of BART fares. Your BART Discount Card will automatically be debited every time you travel on BART. When your card balance drops below $10, your chosen form of payment will be charged to replenish your account. If you use the card to travel between SFO and Millbrae, no fare will be charged, however, you still need to follow the steps herein and have an initial charge of $45 on your credit or debit card. The value can be used to travel between other BART stations.
There is a one-time additional $20 setup fee, which will pay for itself in no time.
For eligible Airport Commission and non-Airline employees, you will need the following to sign-up:
- A computer with internet access
- Your SFO-issued security ID badge
- A valid debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo (such as a payroll deduction card), or a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express)
- An e-mail address
- If you don’t have a computer, you can use the computer terminal at the information booth located outside the BART station in the International Terminal. There are also two computers available at the Employee Café on the departures level of Terminal 1.
- Visit https://ezrider.bart.gov. (note the https)
- Scroll down to where it says “San Francisco International Airport and Airline Employee Programs”, and click on “Click here to see if you are eligible…”
- Verify your eligibility by inputting your first and last name exactly as shown on your SFO ID badge, as well as the UPID code found on the back of the badge.
- Submit your information.
- Sign-up when prompted. If the sign-up page does not appear, then your information may not have been given to BART yet (it usually takes 1-2 days for the Security Access Office to pass your information to BART).
- Read the “Registering for the BART Airport Employee Discount Card Program is easy as 1-2-3” page.
- Click on the “Click to start the registration process” button at the bottom.
- Complete and submit your personal information (address etc). You can also sign up on this page to use the card to pay for BART parking. You will be charged $20 for the one-time administrative fee.
- For Airport Commission Employees - The Airport Commission reimburses you for the $20 charge. Send a Field Expense Report along with a copy of your BART discount card e-mail receipt to Anny Lee in Accounting.
- For Non Commission, Non-Airline Employees, please check with your Human Resources department to find out if your company will reimburse this expense.
- Find the serial number on your SFO Discount card printed on the lower right corner of the back of the card. It is the seven digit number that follows “0140 0000”. You will be asked for this, as well as the last four digits of your credit/debit card during the activation process.
Contact your supervisor or Human Resources liaison to sign up for the SFO BART discount card.
- Ask your HR liaison or supervisor if your airline is eligible.
- If your airline has not yet expressed interest, your HR liaison or manager needs to contact BART’s Assistant Treasurer, Rose Poblete at email@example.com or 510-464-6910.
- Rose will send your names to a processing department, who will then contact your HR liaison or supervisor.
- The department will provide sign-up forms for employees to complete.
- Send completed forms by fax, 510-464-6975, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Forms must be received at least 3 business days before your appointment to get your photo ID.
- You will be charged $45 for credit on the SFO discount card (BART will add a $3.00 bonus, as well as a $50 registration fee.
- Credit card authorization process takes 24 hours.
- Call 510-464-6974 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT.
- Photo appointments are scheduled on a limited basis throughout the year.